Today, In-vitro Fertilization or IVF is a household name. This treatment has revolutionized the world of medicine and, ultimately, the world of all those who could not conceive.
The term IVF was pioneered in 1978 by Sir Robert Edwards and Patrick Steptoe. This technique has benefitted millions of couples struggling to get a baby.
IVF is considered as one of the most popular types of assisted reproductive techniques. Couples struggling with infertility issues can go for this technique to get their biological child.
Who can be the candidate for IVF?:
When it comes to infertility, IVF can be an option if you and your partner are suffering from any of the following issues:
- Endometriosis: Endometriosis is a condition where the uterine tissues implant and grow outside of the uterus.
- Uterine Fibroids: Fibroids are benign tumors in the wall of the uterus. This disease can interfere with the implantation of fertilized eggs.
- Unexplained infertility: It occurs when no cause of infertility has been found despite several evaluations.
- Blockage of the fallopian tube: Fallopian tube blockage makes it difficult for the egg to be fertilized inside a uterus.
- Impaired Sperm Production: Weak movement of sperms or abnormalities in its size and shape can make the fertilization process more difficult.
Procedure of IVF?:
IVF involves a sequence of procedures that are performed outside a woman’s body. In this procedure, the female eggs and male sperms are fertilized in a laboratory condition. Step by step benefits of IVF treatment is discussed as follows:
- Diagnosing Infertility: Firstly, the reason for infertility is being diagnosed to start your IVF treatment.
- Ovulation Induction and Egg Retrieval: Ovulation induction is the process of simulating an ovary to produce eggs. The egg retrieval process begins 36 hours after inducing the injection.
- Fertilization in a laboratory: The fertilization process is initiated in the laboratory after the eggs are fetched from the ovarian fluid. These eggs are then allowed to fertilize with the sperm in a liquid medium.
- Embryo transfer to the mother’s uterus: The zygote or fertilized egg is cultivated for almost 2-6 days. After the embryo is fully developed, it is transferred to the mother’s embryo to initiate a successful pregnancy.
Key Benefits of going for IVF treatment:
IVF is considered a safe and effective treatment for couples dealing with various infertility issues. The ultimate advantage of IVF is achieving a successful and healthy pregnancy. Here, we have outlined some of the major benefits of IVF treatment.
Using the donated eggs or sperm:
There are chances that your fertility specialist may recommend using donated eggs or sperm. In these cases, the egg is being fertilized manually in a clinic. As a result, a healthy embryo can be formed. In addition, it can increase your chances of becoming pregnant in the first or second round.
Increases your chances of having a healthy child:
Babies conceived through IVF or other assisted reproductive techniques are usually healthier. However, special care is taken for babies born prematurely as they can develop congenital disabilities.
A study was recently conducted among twenty IVF babies. This study managed to take a deep look at babies born through IVF. They closely assessed each person’s medical and mental health along with cognitive ability. The study’s findings showed that these babies were as healthy and mentally active as naturally conceived babies.
Genetic screening is a new development in the field of medicine. It is a powerful technology that helps to ensure your baby is born healthy. By utilizing this technology, you can ensure that fetuses used during IVF are free of known genetic markers.
In addition, it is helpful to diagnose life-threatening medical conditions such as down syndrome, sickle cell anemia, and Tay Sachs disease. If the mother or father tests positively for these diseases, a child can also get them.
However, these diseases can be easily detected and treated with this technology before a child’s birth.
Decreases the chances of miscarriage:
Miscarriage is the result of the spontaneous loss of a pregnancy before its 20th week. A study showed that about 10-20 percent of known pregnancies end in miscarriages in India.
But the actual number can be slightly higher because many miscarriages can occur early in pregnancy that a woman doesn’t realize she’s pregnant.
IVF procedure can decrease the chances of miscarriages as, during IVF procedure, experts make sure that there is a proper selection of healthy eggs and sperms. Therefore, it increases the possibilities of producing a healthy embryo.
Ability to select healthier embryos:
IVF technique also allows for pre-implantation genetic screening (PGS). PGS is vital for the genetic profiling of embryos before the fertilization process. This process helps in the effective screening of the embryo.
Thereby dismissing the chances of passing on a chromosomal disorder or genetic abnormalities to the child. Therefore, it reduces the worries of a couple regarding the complications that may arise during pregnancy.
Allows the observation of embryonic development:
One of the benefits of IVF treatment is that it allows you to observe the evolution of embryos from fertilization to day-to-day transfer. You can evaluate certain parameters of their morphology that are related to quality, such as the following:
- Quantity of cells
- Percentage of fragmentation
- Quantity of nuclei
- Others: vacuoles, zona pellucida, cytoplasm, etc.
Hence, a degree of quality is assigned to each of the embryos to select the one that has the best chance of implantation.
More successful than other technique:
IVF is considered a more successful technique than other assisted reproductive techniques. This technique has a higher success rate of ivf and has witnessed more technological advancements compared to other reproductive techniques.
If you have infertility problems, including fallopian tube blockage, reduced ovarian reserves, or advanced maternal age, then it is advisable to choose IVF treatment as it is a safe procedure.
Pregnancy at the chosen time:
People who want to focus on their careers or have other life situations can use IVF techniques if they want a baby later in their life. Eggs or embryos can be cryopreserved for future use. Moreover, you can choose a window of time when you want to be pregnant. IVF can also help with spacing children in a way that works best for your family.
The success rate of an IVF treatment:
The outcome of the IVF procedure can vary from couple to couple. Moreover, the success rate also depends upon various factors, including:
- Age of the female partner
- Duration of infertility
- Type of infertility
- Cause of infertility
- Quality of sperm
- Endometrial development
Vardaan Medical Center: Best IVF Center in Jalandhar:
Vardaan Medical Center has achieved a milestone in providing top-quality IVF treatment in Jalandhar to infertile couples. Our IVF specialists have years of expertise in handling complex fertility cases.
Schedule an appointment with our fertility specialists to start your IVF journey.